Thursday, June 3, 2010

Trip to Taiwan - Day #5

So we've been waking up around 5 am every morning, but this morning my body did not want to wake up at all. I slept in until almost 9 am and then cleaned up with a long soak in the bath (and read a book) for another hour or two. It was a late start to the day but I figured I'd have all afternoon to go out. It was already 1:30 when I was finally ready to go, but then I talked to Scott and found out I needed to change and meet him earlier for a customer dinner. Long story short, I'm not really sure where the time went but I ended up with very little for some reason. I had a nice walk through Taipei 101 (STILL haven't gotten to the top) and through Computex booths. Then on to a customer meeting and dinner.

They were very friendly, even though I was just kind of tagging along. The dinner was definitely an experience - Chinese Shanghai style. A sampling of items from last night's dinner: jellied pork, steamed ferns, fried seaweed & bamboo, shark fin soup, peas & lily bulbs, taro dessert, drunk chicken, red dates with sticky rice. And, yes, I tried them all!

Shark fin wasn't as bad as I had anticipated - pretty mild and not too unpleasant of a texture (but I still couldn't bring myself to have more than one bite). Lily bulbs aren't my favorite but they're ok. I knew I wouldn't like the jellied pork but decided to try everything. I could hardly even try the drunk chicken because of the bones around it. Surprisingly it was the dessert of red dates stuffed with sticky rice that turned my stomach the most. The river shrimp, dumplings, codfish, taro dessert and mushroom & bamboo were fine. My favorites were the braised pork (wonderful!), watermelon & pineapple, green onion pancakes, and surprisingly, the ferns and seaweed & bamboo.

No comments: